We first tasted these fajitas at a friend's housewarming party. Meghan McKinney, the author of this recipe, served them to us on perfectly warmed corn tortillas and a little scoop of brown rice. Needless to say, they were a hit.
- 6-8 small whole grain flour or corn tortillas
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu, drained well and sliced thinly lengthwise
- ½ cup Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce)
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bell peppers, slice thinly lengthwise
- 1 onion, julienned
- Make the sauce by mixing together Bragg Liquid Aminos, water, maple syrup, nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper, and oil. Set aside.
- Prepare the tofu by draining the water out of the container and gently squeezing out the excess moisture with a paper towel. Cut into ½-inch matchsticks.
- Heat a little olive oil in a shallow pan and add the sliced onions and garlic. When the onions start to become translucent, add the bell peppers.
- Meanwhile in a separate nonstick pan, heat a little olive oil and cook the tofu over medium-high heat. Cook the tofu on all sides until slightly browned. Transfer them to the pan with the veggies and pour in the sauce mixture. Simmer for 5 minutes and serve in warm tortillas.
Ready in about 20 minutes
Makes 6-8 tacos / 2-3 servings