A zingy southwestern take on a summer classic. Be sure to take this one with you on your next picnic.
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- ½ jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, drained
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs (gluten-free optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- Place the onion, jalapeno, and garlic in a food processor and pulse 5-6 times.
- Add the beans, oats, corn, cilantro, cumin, curry powder, and cayenne, season to taste with salt, and pulse 8 times. Scrape down the sides of the food processor and pulse an addition 5-8 times, depending on your desired texture.
- Drizzle a teaspoon of oil into a skillet and heat to medium.
- Form the burger mixture into 4 equal patties. Cook the patties for 5-7 minutes on each side, or until a crust develops and the patties are heated through.
- Remove the patties from the heat and place onto burger buns. Assemble the burger with toppings and condiments of your choice.
Ready in about 20-30 minutes
Makes 4 patties