If a Wienerschnitzel comes from Wien (Vienna) then a Calischnitzel must be from California! Schnitzel simply refers to a peace of meat breaded and fried. Here's our version – the Calischnitzel!
- 2 cups garbanzo flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 ½ cups bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup almond or soy milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- To make patties:
- Mix garbanzo flour, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Add hot water and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Put bread crumbs into a cereal bowl. Take a heaping tablespoon of batter and flatten it slightly into a patty. Dip each side into bread crumbs.
- Fry in a non-stick pan on medium heat until brown.
- To make gravy:
- Melt butter or margarine in saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add flour and stir well with a whisk.
- Add almond or soy milk while continuing to whisk.
- Add salt.
- Bring heat to medium and continue to whisk until the gravy boils and thickens.
- Remove from heat and stir in dried dill.
Ready in about 30 minutes
Makes About 15 patties