This is more a guideline than a recipe, but it’s what I use when the family is hankering for homemade pizza but nothing but a few pantry and fridge staples to make it happen. Try to use the best and freshest quality ingredients you have available, and dare to try intriguing combinations (I like fresh tomato sauce, minced garlic, cremini, shiitake, and button mushrooms, caramelized onions, and thyme).
- Crust: whole-grain pita bread, hamburger buns, naan, lavash, baguette, flatbread, English muffins
- Sauce/Base: Simple Basil Pesto, fresh tomatoes simmered down with fresh herbs, or a whole head of roasted garlic smeared onto the crust with some olive oil
- Cheese Substitute: (Optional): Daiya cheese, especially Daiya Mozzarella Style Shreds, is a wonderful cheese substitute and melts down like real cheese
- Endless Toppings: fresh tomatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms, olives, red onions, green onions, artichoke hearts, fresh basil, zucchini, pesto, sun dried tomatoes, jalapeño peppers, roasted garlic, asparagus, spinach, etc.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spread base sauce on the bread, then add the cheese and other toppings.
- Bake in the oven on a baking sheet or a pizza stone until the toppings and cheese are bubbly and the crust’s edges are toasty and crisp, about 12-15 minutes. Sprinkle a pinch of basil, oregano, or crushed red pepper on top and serve.
Ready in about 15-30 minutes
Makes 1 serving