The best, creamiest tomato soups always begin with a quick saute of garlic, onions, and a finish of…cashews? Yes! In the land of plant-based dieters who seek out the tastiest, healthiest, and most environment-friendly foods, cashews are nothing short of a dear pantry friend.
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ¼ tablespoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- ¾ cup water
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- Sauté onion and garlic in oil for 3 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes, vinegar, salt, and spices, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Place in a blender and process in small batches at high speed, then return to pan. Blend cashews in water until very smooth, then stir into soup and cook until thoroughly heated.
Ready in about 1 hour 15 minutes
Makes 4-5 servings