This chili is loaded with flavor and vitamins, and everyone in the family might ask for a second bowl. The best part? You'll only have to wash one pot!
- 1 (29-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (32-ounce) carton vegetable stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- avocado and cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium low heat. Add onions and cook until soft and they start to brown--about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and oregano, and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the beans, stock, and potatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add the quinoa.
- Continue cooking for about 15-30 minutes, stirring frequently until quinoa and potatoes and cooked and the chili has thickened. Add a bit of water if the chili becomes too thick for your liking. Top with avocado and chopped cilantro, and serve.
Ready in about 30-60 minutes
Makes 6 big bowls