Roasted squash embodies the essence of winter meals and could be the perfect solution if you were searching for a plant-based holiday side dish. Consider this simple recipe a base for a more-dressed up roasted squash and sage dish; consider adding caramelized onions, dried cranberries, and toasted pine nuts for a more lavish holiday spread.
- ½ butternut squash, peeled and diced into 1⁄2-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5-7 leaves fresh sage, chopped (or 2 tablespoons dried sage)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, combine the squash, olive oil, and salt until the squash is evenly coated. Stir in the sage.
- Transfer the squash to a nonstick roasting pan and bake in the oven until the squash is tender and lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
Ready in about 30 minutes
Makes 4-6 side servings