It’s a single serving recipe, but how perfect would this be for a crowd-pleasing brunch buffet? Just prepare the polenta and lay out all of the optional toppings for a beautiful sunshine-y spread. Or, simply make a little bowl of bright polenta for yourself and get creative.
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup cornmeal, coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- pinch salt
- splash of unsweetened almond or soy milk (optional)
- Sweet Toppings: fresh or dried fruit, pure maple syrup, toasted nuts, granola
- Savory toppings: sautéed mushrooms, onions, cherry tomatoes, fresh herbs
- In a microwaveable bowl, mix the water, cornmeal, oil, and salt. Place the bowl, uncovered, in the microwave and heat on high for 5 minutes.
- Halfway through cooking, take the bowl out of the microwave and give it a stir, adding a splash of milk if the polenta looks like it’s drying out.
- Put the bowl back in the microwave and heat the rest of the time. It should be thick and will thicken more as it cools.
- Eat with sweet or savory toppings, or plain.
Ready in about 10-15 minutes
Makes 1 serving