So much more than a salad, this recipe is filled to the brim with nutrient-dense ingredients and packed full of bright flavor.
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¾ cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely diced (optional)
- Over medium heat, heat oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic until they’re soft and translucent. Add the quinoa to the pan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt, then bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the frozen corn to the pan and continue to simmer for 5 more minutes. Mix in the black beans, cilantro, lime juice, and optional jalapeño and cook until the beans are heated through.
Ready in about 45 minutes
Makes 4-6 servings