Quinoa is a wonderful, wonderful seed and a complete protein, which means it contains all nine essential amino acids. Most people tend to add quinoa to a savory lunch or dinner meal but we’re turning that on its head by combining it with sweet ingredients for a healthy breakfast.
- 2 cups vanilla or unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 cup toppings of choice: fresh or frozen berries, cacao nibs, chia seeds, chopped dates, pumpkin seeds, etc.
- Optional add-ins: additional berries, additional milk, agave, and cinnamon
- In a small saucepan, bring milk to a boil. Add quinoa to the milk and return to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cover until ¾ of the milk has been absorbed—about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the agave and cinnamon and cook, covered, until almost all of the milk is absorbed—about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the berries and cook for 30 seconds.
- Serve with additional milk, agave, cinnamon, and berries.
Ready in about 20 minutes
Makes 2-4 servings