Don’t let the long ingredients list scare you away! This lovely salad is one of my very favorites and completely worth the (minimal) trouble. And you can make a big batch of the candied pecans ahead of time!
- 1 head butter lettuce, gently torn
- 1 apple (preferably Pink Lady), unpeeled and sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons currants (or dried cranberries)
- ¼ cup red onion, sliced thinly
- CANDIED PECANS:
- ½ cup raw pecans
- ⅛ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- small pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon of canola oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼-½ teaspoon salt
- Make the candied pecans: Add the brown sugar, water, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper to a saucepan, then bring to a boil. Add the pecans and stir for 2 minutes. Transfer the coated pecans to a sheet of cookie sheet lined with wax paper and bake for 6 minutes at 350°F.
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together to combine. Toss the dressing, candied pecans, apple slices, and lettuce together.
Ready in about 30 minutes
Makes 4-6 servings