This burrito recipe is pure wow, from head to toe. Fragrant coconut-cinnamon rice, fresh and zingy mango-lime salsa, hearty black beans, and exotic toasted coconut flakes…you get the picture. If you’d like to reduce the carb content in this recipe, turn it into a “grain bowl” by omitting the tortilla and just spooning the beans and salsa atop a pile of coconut rice.
- 10 large whole-wheat tortillas
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained, rinsed, and heated through
- 1 cup coconut flakes, toasted (see instructions)
- COCONUT RICE:
- 2 cups uncooked jasmine rice, washed
- 1 stick cinnamon (optional)
- 1½ cups water
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- MANGO-LIME SALSA:
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled, seeded, and diced into 1⁄4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoons jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon shallots, minced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Make the coconut rice: In a saucepan, combine all coconut rice ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low, allowing the rice to simmer for 20 minutes, or until the rice is fluffy. Remove from heat, stir with a fork, cover, and let sit for 10 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick before serving.
- Make the mango-lime salsa: In a medium bowl, combine all mango-lime salsa ingredients. Toss gently and serve.
- Toast the coconut: In a skillet over medium heat, toast the coconut for about 3 minutes, turning frequently with a spatula until browned and toasted on all sides.
- Assemble burritos: Spoon the coconut rice, black beans, and mango-lime salsa into warmed tortillas, then sprinkle the coconut flakes on top. Wrap burritos and serve.
Ready in about 45-60 minutes
Makes 8-10 servings