Chick peas are a great addition to vegan cooking. They add a meaty texture to foods and are full of protein, vitamins, an minerals. Enjoy this chick pea chili a side of corn bread or as a topping for a baked potato. You’ll have the whole family asking for more!
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup green chilies
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes or diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups corn, frozen
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can chick peas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 can black beans
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne powder (or to taste)
- Add the onion, bell pepper, green chili, vegetable stock, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and canned tomatoes to a pot and heat on medium high heat.
- Allow the mixture to come to a boil. Then, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the maple syrup, tomato paste, and corn. Then simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- Now, pour in the tomato sauce, black beans, and chick peas. Allow everything to become warm and stir well.
- At this point add salt and cayenne powder to taste. Adding salt at the end allows you to use less and still get the same taste. Enjoy!