Usually, biscuits tend to be a bit on the dry side, especially when they’re vegan, but these are lovely and tender, with the sweet-tartness of the lemon and orange peel shining through. They’re a perfect base for strawberry shortcake stacks in the summertime.
- 2½ cups flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal (whole grain, coarse grind preferred)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
- 4 teaspoons lemon peel, grated
- 4 teaspoons orange peel, grated
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cornmeal, salt, and sugar. Stir in the coconut milk and orange and lemon peel until just combined.
- Form into balls and roll in sugar, if using. Place dough balls on a greased cookie sheet and bake in oven for 20-24 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on rack.
Ready in about 30 minutes
Makes 16 biscuits