This isn’t your typical eggy, drippy french toast, but trust me, it is delicious.
- 1 loaf whole-wheat bread, frozen and sliced into twelve ¾-inch slices (whole-wheat sourdough preferred)
- 1 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pour milk in a wide shallow bowl, then mix in the cornstarch and stir until dissolved.
- Add the chickpea flour and mix until it’s mostly absorbed (some lumps are okay).
- Heat a nonstick pan or skillet over medium heat and lightly spray the bottom with nonstick spray.
- Soak the frozen slices of bread in the milk and cornstarch mixture and transfer to the pan. Cook until the toast is golden brown on both sides and serve immediately with maple syrup and a bowl of fresh fruit.
Ready in about 20 minutes
Makes 6 servings