Most people love and remember bruschetta for its bright, fresh tomato and basil components, not so much for the sprinkle of cheese on top. So why not omit the cheese altogether?
- 1 whole-wheat baguette, sliced
- 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1¼ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 handful basil leaves, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic
- dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a medium bowl, stir together the chopped tomatoes, garlic, basil, olive oil, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and salt. Adjust the salt and spices to taste.
- Toast the baguette slices on a grill or in a toaster. Brush with a little oil. When ready to serve, spoon the tomato mixture over the toasted baguette and serve immediately.
Ready in about 20 minutes
Makes 6-8 servings