For obvious, basil-and-corn-related reasons, this salsa is best on wonderfully hot summer days.
- 5 ears fresh white corn, shucked (or 1 bag frozen white petite corn)
- ½ cup red onion, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, julienned
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced ( to taste)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the shucked corn, and boil for 3 minutes.
- While the corn is boiling, prepare a large bowl of ice water.
- After 3 minutes, drain the corn, then immerse it in icy water to halt the cooking process.
- When the corn is cool, cut the corn kernels off the cob.
- Combine the corn with the rest of the ingredients and serve.
Ready in about 10-15 minutes
Makes 2½ cups