This is an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink soup, but we figured that might not make the most positive first impression. Grain, vegetables, and starch…this has it all. The addition of black beans, if you have a can in your pantry, would only serve to balance it further, no?
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth (low-sodium preferred)
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed and chopped
- 2 large carrots, sliced into ¼-inch coins
- 1 (15-ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- salt, to taste
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, cook the onions with olive oil over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- When the onions and garlic are translucent, add the vegetable broth, kale, tomatoes, and carrots, then cover.
- Cook until the carrots and kale are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- When the carrots and kale are tender, add the cannellini beans, salt to taste, and cook until the beans are heated through.
Ready in about 1 hour
Makes 4-6 servings