The only bad thing about these are they’re gone as soon as you make them. They certainly don’t last long, because everyone goes back for seconds and even thirds.
This recipe was inspired by the orange cranberry scones they offer at Starbucks. They were one of my mom’s favorite desserts there, until she found the recipe and was able to make them at home. She passed the recipe along to me and I was able to make it vegan for us to enjoy.
These scones are a great sweet treat because the whole batch only contains 7 teaspoons of sugar. That’s almost less than ½ a teaspoon per scone, and that’s a whole lot less than your average dessert. The glaze adds a little bit more sugar, but it is always optional.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 7 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ cup vegan butter, cold
- 1 cup cranberries, dried
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup soy creamer
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons water
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- FRUIT BUTTER:
- ⅓ cup vegan butter
- 2-3 tablespoons jelly (orange is best, but you can use any flavor)
- Combine the ground flaxseed and water. Set aside until you're ready to mix the dry and wet ingredients together.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 7 teaspoons sugar, orange peel, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the cranberries, orange juice, cream, and flaxseed/water mixture. Add to flour mixture and stir until a soft dough forms.
- On a floured surface, gently knead 6-8 times. Pat dough into an 8 inch circle. Cut into 10-12 wedges.
- Separate wedges and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (optional). Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes.
- At 12 minutes brush the scones with the glaze, then put back in the oven for about 3 more minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool. Serve butter with the warm scones. Enjoy!
Ready in about 30 minutes
Makes 10-12 scones