I wanted something special for my Mum's birthday breakfast, not the usual. After some internet searching this idea came up. With some healthy touches a breakfast was made – fit for a queen!
- ¾ cup unbleached flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cup soy or almond milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Fruit sauce:
- 1 ½ cups frozen strawberries
- 2 tablespoons grape jelly
- coconut yogurt, vanilla flavor (optional topping)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place two muffin tin pans in the oven to preheat.
- In a large bowl, add dry ingredients for pancakes and mix.
- Add milk and oil and stir until just blended (the batter will still appear lumpy, but that is good).
- After the muffin tins have been in the oven for at least 5 minutes, pull them out of the oven and spray them with a non-stick spray. Fill each muffin space with batter until ½ full. Leave any extra spaces empty.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove the pancake puffs from the muffin tin.
- While the pancakes are baking, prepare the berry sauce. Place frozen strawberries and grape jelly into a microwave safe bowl and heat until warm. Mash berries with a fork and mix well. Serve over the top of the pancake puffs with optional coconut yogurt.
Ready in about 25 minutes
Makes About 18 large pancake puffs or 36 mini-puffs