Chewy, hearty, and with a seriously “meaty” flavor, this might be one of the best vegetarian burgers out there.
- 3 cups water
- ¼ cup Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or 2 tablespoons soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon McCay's Beef Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- ¼ cup dried onion flakes (or 1 diced onion)
- 3 cups quick oats
- ½ cup walnuts or pecans, ground
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place water all ingredients except oats in a blender. Cover and turn on for 2-3 seconds, just enough for all to go through the blades and get chopped fine, but not pureed.
- Place mixture in a saucepan and simmer together for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in quick oats and nuts. Allow to cool.
- Shape into burger-sized patties— use a half-cup ice-cream scoop if available— and place on a nonstick or Pam-sprayed cookie sheet.
- Press down with the palm of your hand to make each patty ¼“ thick. Bake at 375°F until browned on both sides, or brown on a nonstick griddle.
- Variation 1: Try adding a tablespoon of molasses and a tablespoon of tomato puree for a richer flavor.
- Variation 2: Make a chili burger by replacing the Italian seasoning with 1 teaspoon cumin and 1 tablespoon chili powder, or 1⁄2 package of mild taco seasoning.
Ready in about about 30 minutes
Makes 6-8 burgers / 6-8 servings