You’d think that egg salad, which is made with eggs and mayonnaise (which is also made with eggs) might be a little hard to make if you don’t eat, well, eggs. Turns out you’d be wrong! These tofu egg-less salads are surprisingly convincing and, dare I say, even better than the classic. What’s more, you don’t have to eat it all in one sitting for fear of it going bad. Rather, leave it covered in the refrigerator overnight to let the spices seep into the tofu and make it taste even better the next day.
- 1 (16-ounce) package package firm tofu, drained
- ½ cup reduced-fat Vegenaise
- ¼ cup sweet pickle relish
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup red onion, finely diced
- ½ cup celery, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon carrot, grated (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- salt to taste
- Using a paper towel or dishtowel, squeeze as much moisture from the tofu as possible. In a medium bowl, use your hands to crumble the tofu. Mix the crumbled tofu with the rest of the ingredients. Serve between slices of whole-wheat bread or crumble on top of salad.
Ready in about 10 minutes
Makes 4-6 servings