Broccoli is native to the Mediterranean and Asia Minor, so it only seems right to pair it with Mediterranean flavors, like softened peppers, acidic olives, and kicky lemon. Green, red, purple, and yellow—it’s a beautiful plate of bright and complex flavors.
- ½ red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets (about 3 cups chopped)
- 10 kalamata olives, quartered
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons marjoram, finely chopped (or ½ teaspoon dried)
- salt, to taste
- lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Brush both sides of the bell pepper with olive oil and place cut side down on a sheet pan. Roast the red pepper in the oven for 10 minutes. When the pepper has cooled down, peel off the skin and discard. Dice the pepper into small cubes, and set aside.
- While the peppers are roasting, steam the broccoli in a bit of water until tender, but still crunchy, then set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet, and sauté the garlic slices over medium heat until they’re browned. Add the steamed broccoli, quartered olives, roasted bell pepper, and marjoram, and sauté until vegetables are heated through.
- Salt to taste and serve with lemon wedges.
Ready in about 30 minutes
Makes 6-8 servings