Readily available during the winter months, this starchy vegetable makes a great soup.
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Shake of red chilli flakes (optional)
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic or 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 cups water
- ¼ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 5 fresh sage leaves, chopped coarsely (or rubbed sage)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Heat up a heavy saucepan, put in the onion, optional red chili flakes, oil, and salt. Sautee until the onions are caramelized.
- Add the squash, garlic and 3 cups of water. Cover and cook until the squash is soft (about 15-20 minutes).
- Take off the heat, put mixture in the blender, and blend until it is soft.
- Pour into bowls, add sage, mixing it in, and decorate with the pumpkin seeds.
Ready in about 40 minutes
Makes 4-6 servings