Cashews, dates and oats are three of the most ubiquitous ingredients in the vegan pantry. We combine all three in this recipe to make the quintessential vegan waffle.
- 2 ½ cups cold water, divided
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 2-4 Medjool dates, pitted (or 1 tablespoon agave nectar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a high-speed blender, blend 1 cup of water with the cashews until smooth.
- Then, add the pitted dates, salt, and vanilla extract and blend until smooth.
- Add the rolled oats and the remaining 1 ½ cup of water, and blend until smooth.
- Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes before making the first waffle.
- Lightly spray PAM or olive oil on the surface of a heated waffle iron and then pour in ⅙ of the mixture.
- Bake until the waffle is golden to dark brown, approximately 5 minutes.
- Note: due to the ingredients in the batter, each waffle may take a minute or two longer than usual to cook.
- Repeat for all 6 waffles and enjoy with optional toppings.
- Optional toppings: almond butter, fresh berries, sliced bananas, maple syrup
Ready in about 45 minutes
Makes 6 waffles