The “huevos” in this recipe are lightly pan fried tofu strips. Simply delicious!
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 (14 oz.) cans whole or diced tomatoes in juice
- ½ cup white onion, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus additional for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16. oz) package firm or extra firm tofu
- Warm each tortilla on both sides in a non-stick skillet or over a medium flame on a gas stove. Stack warmed tortillas and wrap loosely in foil and keep warm in oven.
- Puree tomatoes with their juice, together with onion, cilantro, chipotle, garlic, and salt in a blender until very smooth. Add mixture to a pan and simmer, stirring occasionally, until salsa is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- While salsa is cooking, drain the tofu, and press dry with a paper towel. Cut into thin strips and place in a nonstick skillet, lightly sprayed with oil. Sprinkle with salt. Turn with spatula when golden and sprinkle other side with salt. Cook until both sides are golden.
- Place two tortillas on a plate, add two strips of tofu, fold tortilla in half. Spoon salsa over the tortillas and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve with beans and sliced avocado.
Ready in about 20 minutes
Makes 4 servings