The “huevos” in this recipe are lightly pan fried tofu strips. Simply delicious!
|2||(14 oz.) cans||whole or diced tomatoes in juice|
|½||cup||white onion, chopped|
|¼||cup||chopped fresh cilantro, plus additional for sprinkling|
|1||tablespoon||chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo|
|2||cloves||garlic, coarsely chopped|
|1||(16. oz) package||firm or extra firm tofu|
- Warm each tortilla on both sides in a non-stick skillet or over a medium flame on a gas stove. Stack warmed tortillas and wrap loosely in foil and keep warm in oven.
- Puree tomatoes with their juice, together with onion, cilantro, chipotle, garlic, and salt in a blender until very smooth. Add mixture to a pan and simmer, stirring occasionally, until salsa is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- While salsa is cooking, drain the tofu, and press dry with a paper towel. Cut into thin strips and place in a nonstick skillet, lightly sprayed with oil. Sprinkle with salt. Turn with spatula when golden and sprinkle other side with salt. Cook until both sides are golden.
- Place two tortillas on a plate, add two strips of tofu, fold tortilla in half. Spoon salsa over the tortillas and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve with beans and sliced avocado.