Lentils shine because they know how to get out of the way. Whether it’s caramelized onions or oregano, lentils provide a comforting palette for flavors to shine. So get creative, break out the spice rack, and let the humble lentils shine!
- 3 cups dry brown or green lentils
- 6 cups water
- 1 ½ cups onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt to taste
- Put all ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower heat, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender, usually 30-45 minutes.
- Serve over toasted whole wheat French bread or brown rice. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, olives, and avocado. Finish with salsa and/or Tangy Herb Salad Dressing or favorite vegan ranch dressing.