One of the pleasures of home cooking is discovering that favorite, longed-for foods are not so out of reach, after all. Mango and coconut rice is one of these favorite foods—a dessert to be ordered whenever possible in Thai restaurants but never made at home. In fact, mango and coconut rice is really simple to make, and somehow tastes much better when eaten, spoonful by warm spoonful, at home.
- 1-2 mangoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup jasmine rice, uncooked
- ½ stick cinnamon (or ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon)
- 2¼ cups water
- ½ (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ tablespoon black sesame seeds, toasted (optional)
- Combine the rice, water, coconut milk, sugar and cinnamon in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover and turn heat to low. Let simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Fluff the rice, then cover and let it sit for about 20 minutes.
- Serve with sliced mangoes and an optional sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Ready in about 1½ hours
Makes 2-4 servings