On a cold wintry day, nothing hits the spot better than a warm bowl of savory soup.
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- ⅓ cup uncooked red lentils
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14.5 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup green beans, fresh or frozen
- ½ cup frozen peas
- In a large pot, heat water over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. If the pan starts to brown, add 2 additional tablespoons of water.
- Add garlic, carrots, smoked paprika, and cumin. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently so garlic doesn’t brown.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes, red lentils, thyme, bay leaves, and salt and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, cover pot, and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Take out the bay leaves, and then transfer 2 cups of the soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Add the pureed soup back in the pot and stir.
- Add green beans and peas and simmer until vegetables are tender.
Ready in about 50 minutes
Makes 6-8 servings