Whole grains are packed with nutrients, including protein, fiber, B vitamins, antioxidants, and trace minerals (iron, zinc, copper, and magnesium). A diet rich in whole grains has been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, obesity, and some forms of cancer. Redefine your breakfast with this grain packed oatmeal.
- 2-3 cups water
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can light coconut milk
- ¼ cup buckwheat
- ¼ cup millet
- ½ cup steel cut oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- Toppings: assorted nuts, fresh fruit, unsweetened dried fruit, and cinnamon
- Boil water and coconut milk in a pot over high heat.
- Use 2 cups water for firmer cereal and 3 cups for creamier texture.
- Add grains and chia seeds to the pot.
- Once the mixture comes backs to a boil, lower the heat and let the grains simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Top cereal with your favorite nuts, seeds, and fruit.
- Note: Not a fan of coconut? Replace the coconut milk with unsweetened soymilk or any other nut milk. And feel free to try a variety of different grains such as farro, quinoa, and wheat berries.
Ready in about 22 minutes
Makes 8-12 servings