Don’t let its plain appearance fool you (that’s what the pretty bowl is for anyway). These lentils, baked for a long time with tomatoes and molasses, are incredibly delicious especially served over rice or pasta.
- 2 cups brown lentils, uncooked
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (12-ounce) can tomatoes, blended
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large pot, boil 5 cups of water and cook the lentils until they’re tender, about 20 minutes. When the lentils are soft and have absorbed the water, add the remaining ingredients (salt, molasses, olive oil, onion, tomatoes) and stir to combine.
- Transfer the lentils to a baking dish and bake for 60 minutes. Serve over rice or pasta as a main dish, or enjoy as a side dish.
Ready in about 2 hours
Makes 8-10 servings