When Daniel cooks this in the office, we all abandon our packed lunches and drool around the kitchen until he offers us some.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon + ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup whole-wheat elbow pasta
- 1 (15 oz.) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium Russet potato
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 small green pepper
- 8 cups water
- In a medium pot heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and sautéonion with 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, ½ teaspoon salt, and a dash of red pepper flakes.
- Once onions are soft, add garlic and cook for a minute. Add tomato sauce and 2 tablespoons olive oil and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, chop vegetables into ¾” cubes. Add 8 cups of water and an additional tablespoon of Italian seasoning. Set heat to medium high and when soup comes to a boil add pasta and rest of vegetables.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Ready in about 1 hour
Makes 8 servings