White beans are versatile and tasty. But in a pasta shell? Brilliant!
- 15 jumbo pasta shells (preferably whole wheat)
- 3 cups cooked white beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ¼ tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 cups tomato basil pasta sauce of your favorite kind
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or pine nuts (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vegan cheese shreds (optional)
- Cook pasta shells to al dente according to package instructions. Cool under cold water and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor add beans, milk, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, salt, and lemon juice. Blend until chunky or smooth depending on desired consistency. Add chopped nuts and basil and pulse a few times.
- Spread half of the pasta sauce at the bottom of a casserole dish.
- Take each shell and fill with 1-2 tablespoons of bean filling. Place in casserole dish.
- Once all shells are filled, drizzle the rest of the pasta sauce over the shells and sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover casserole dish with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes.
Ready in about 40 minutes
Makes 7-8 servings