Chinese Food – these two words alway conjure up thoughts of amazing tofu, particularly lemon “chicken” tofu. Here is a recipe that makes my tastebuds celebrate.
|4||servings||of your favorite rice, cooked|
|1||block (about 12 ounces)||firm tofu|
|1||teaspoon||garlic, grated or minced|
|1||teaspoon||ginger (optional), grated|
|1||teaspoon||lemon zest (optional)|
|2 ½||tablespoons||Bragg Liquid Aminos||www.bragg.com/products/bragg-liquid-aminos-soy-alternative.html|
- Cut tofu block into cubes (about 1 inch square).
- Heat oil in pan over medium-low heat. Add tofu cubes. Stir occasionally with a spatula to prevent burning. Sauté until tofu is lightly browned on the outside (about 20 minutes) - giving it a chewy exterior and soft interior.
- Lemon Sauce:
- Sauté garlic (and ginger if used) on low heat in non-stick pan for about 30 seconds.
- Add lemon juice, vegetable broth, lemon zest (if you want an extra tangy flavor), liquid aminos, and brown sugar. Bring to medium heat stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Meanwhile, in a cup, mix 1 ½ tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Using a whisk, stir the cornstarch mixture into the sauce. Continue to stir. Once the mixture comes to a boil, turn it down to low/simmer and continue to stir sauce until it has thickened (usually a few minutes after coming to a boil). Remove from heat.
- To finish:
- Pour sauce over tofu and serve over your favorite rice.
Prep Time: 40 minutes Serving Size: 4 servings