I recently saw a quote that said “You can’t please everyone, you’re not pizza.” Well, pizza definitely is a crowd pleaser and these pizza pockets are a fun twist on the traditional recipe.
|1 ½||cups||whole wheat flour|
|1||tablespoon||extra virgin olive oil|
|1||cup||vegan cheese (optional)|
- In a large bowl, mix yeast and warm water (water should be warm to the touch but not too warm that you can't leave your hand in it). Mix until dissolved.
- Add whole wheat and unbleached flour, salt and olive oil. Stir and knead until well mixed and no flour is remaining. If dough is gooey, add more flour ¼ cup at a time and keep mixing.
- Cover with a moist paper towel and let dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Slice tomatoes into circles about ¼ inch thick, chop the onions and wash the basil leaves.
- Divide dough in half. Roll each piece of dough on a floured surface until it is about ¼ inch thick.
- Lay the tomato slices out on the dough with about 1 inch in-between. Top the tomato with onions, basil leaves, and cheese.
- Take the second, rolled out layer of pizza dough and carefully place overtop of the dough with toppings. Center a biscuit cutter or the mouth of a mug overtop of each mound. Press firmly through cutting the dough. Be sure all sides are sealed and place on a non-stick baking sheet. Repeat until all mounds are cut out.
- Roll any remaining dough out to repeat the process.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 2 hours Serving Size: 6 servings