For those of you who aren't quite used to the taste of tofu on its own just yet, this recipe toes the line extremely well between egg and tofu. A little extra red pepper and mushroom doesn't hurt.
|1||pound||firm tofu, drained|
|¼||cup||nutritional yeast flakes|
|1||tablespoon||lemon juice (optional)|
|10||cremini mushrooms, sliced|
|¼||teaspoon||red pepper flakes|
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a shallow 9" pie pan and set aside.
- Combine tofu through lemon in a blender and puree until smooth, stopping to scrape the sides as necessary. Continue to blend until the mixture is an even yellow and resembles a thick batter. Set batter aside.
- Line a skillet with ¼ cup of water. Add mushrooms and saute over medium-high heat. Once the mushrooms start to get soft, add thyme, basil and red pepper flakes and continue to cook until mushrooms are soft and the water has evaporated.
- Meanwhile, prepare frozen spinach according to packaging instructions, draining cooked spinach and pressing out any excess water.
- In a large bowl, mix tofu mixture with mushrooms and spinach. Once combined evenly, poor into prepared pie dish. Bake 30-45 minutes at 350°F, or until thoroughly warm and slighty crusty at theh edges. Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes before slicing.
- The quiche should still be warm for serving but not piping hot.
Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes Serving Size: 8 servings