This is an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink soup, but we figured that might not make the most positive first impression. Grain, vegetables, and starch…this has it all. The addition of black beans, if you have a can in your pantry, would only serve to balance it further, no?
|1||tablespoon||extra-virgin olive oil|
|4||cups||vegetable broth (low-sodium preferred)|
|1||bunch||kale, ribs removed and chopped|
|2||large||carrots, sliced into ¼-inch coins|
|1||(15-ounce) can||Italian-style diced tomatoes|
|1||(15-ounce) can||cannellini beans, drained and rinsed|
|salt, to taste|
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, cook the onions with olive oil over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- When the onions and garlic are translucent, add the vegetable broth, kale, tomatoes, and carrots, then cover.
- Cook until the carrots and kale are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- When the carrots and kale are tender, add the cannellini beans, salt to taste, and cook until the beans are heated through.