There are countless delicious ways to stuff bell peppers. Just like magic, halved bell peppers turn into little boats that are perfect for filling with various ingredients to make a simple meal with a (boat)load of flavor. This stuffed peppers recipe is one of my favorites and for good reason! It features a blend of favorite Italian and Mediterranean flavors with its tomatoes, basil, and capers, and is a truly healthy, eye-catching, and delicious side.
- 3 yellow bell peppers, quartered and seeded
- 1-2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 (8-ounce) can peeled plum tomatoes, chopped, liquid reserved
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons capers, drained
- ½ teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the peppers, cut side up, on a baking pan that’s been brushed with oil. Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté the garlic over low heat with 1⁄2 teaspoon of olive oil in a saucepan until it becomes translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally until all of the liquid has evaporated. Add the capers and salt to taste.
- Arrange the roasted peppers on a platter and fill with the tomato sauce. Using your fingers, shred the basil and sprinkle atop the peppers and sauce.
Ready in about 30 minutes
Makes 6-8 servings