Tostones (also known as patacones, tachinos, fried or sliced) are undoubtedly very delicious. However, because it is traditionally a fried dish, it contains high calories and fat. Fortunately, instead of frying, you can bake, which makes them a much healthier option.
|salt to taste|
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F (or 200°C).
- Peel the plantain and cut it into more or less thick slices (about 2 cm).
- Place the slices on parchment paper or a baking pan greased with cooking spray.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the plantains becomes lightly browned at the bottom.
- Use a tostonera (bamboo or plantain press, tortilla press, or anything flat and crush the plantain slices until they become flat. You can also use a small skillet and a cutting board.
- Apply a little more spray oil on the tray (or use baking paper) and place the flattened plantain slices.
- Apply a little more spray oil over the slices.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn the slices over and let them bake for 2 to 5 minutes or until they are browned and crispy.
- Serve with any sauce you want or with rice and beans.
Prep Time: 5 minutes (30 minutes cooking) Yield: 5–6 tostones (3–5 servings)