Although quinoa is of South American origin, it complements very well with the Italian seasoning of this recipe. This soup is perfect for cold or rainy days, but it will delight palates at any time of the year.
|2||celery stalks, chopped|
|1 ½||cup||chickpeas, cooked||1 can (28-oz) chickpeas, rinsed|
|2||medium||tomatoes, peeled and diced|
|2||cups||spinach, chopped||chard or kale, chopped|
|1||tsp||dried basil||2 tbsp chopped fresh basil|
|¼||cup||fresh parsley, chopped|
|salt to taste|
- In a large pot, sauté the onion with water or vegetable broth, carrot, celery and garlic.
- When the vegetables become soft, add 4 to 8 cups of water.
- When the water begins to boil, add the quinoa, potato and the bay leaf. Allow it to cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add the green vegetables, paprika, tomato, chickpeas, thyme, vegetarian seasoning, and salt to taste. Let it boil for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add parsley just before serving.
Prep Time: 10 minutes (30 minutes cooking) Serving Size: 1 1⁄2 cups (8–10 servings)