Masala dishes like this one are popular in Northern India. In this recipe, chickpeas and cauliflower are simmered along with Indian spices like cumin and turmeric. Delicious over rice or scoop it up with naan.
|¼||teaspoon||ground chili pepper|
|2||small||onions, finely chopped|
|½||head of||cauliflower, cut in florets|
|1||(15 oz.) can||chickpeas, drained and rinsed|
|2||cups||fresh tomatoes or 2 cups canned diced tomatoes|
|½||cup||frozen sweet peas (optional)|
|1 ½||teaspoon||lemon juice|
- Prepare garam masala by toasting spices over medium heat until brown. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add onions and 2 tablespoons of water and cook, stirring frequently.
- When water evaporates and pan begins to brown, add 2 more tablespoons of water scraping the brown from the bottom of the pan. Repeat process until onions are a light brown.
- Add toasted spices and stir for a minute.
- Stir in chickpeas, cauliflower, garlic, salt, and 2 tablespoons of water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 7 minutes or until the first few chickpeas begin to split. If mixture begins to dry, add a little more water, a tablespoon at a time.
- Add tomatoes and optional sweet peas and cook for 7 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and chopped cilantro.
- Serve over brown rice.
Prep Time: 40 minutes Serving Size: 4-6 servings