Scrumptious burgers are an American classic. However, these burgers are much cheaper and much healthier than store-bought vegeburgers. As a bonus, they freeze well, so you can pull a few out of the freezer when you need a quick meal.
|½||cup||walnut or pecan, ground|
|¼||cup||Bragg's Liquid Amino's (or soy sauce)|
|1||tablespoon||McKay’s Beef Style Instant Broth and Seasoning (or other beef-like seasoning)|
|3||tablespoons||nutritional yeast flakes|
|¼||cup||dry onion flakes (or 1 finely diced onion)|
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place all ingredients except the oats and nuts in a high- speed blender. Cover and turn the blender on for 2-3 seconds, just enough for the ingredients to run through the blades and get chopped finely but not pureed.
- Place the mixture in a saucepan and simmer everything together for 3 minutes, then remove from the heat and stir in the quick oats and nuts. Allow it to cool.
- Using an ice cream scoop or your hands, shape the mixture into 6-8 balls, placing them on a nonstick baking sheet. Press down with the palm of your hand to make each patty 1⁄4-inch thick and place them in the oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes, flipping them after 15 minutes so that both sides are golden brown.
- Bake for 10 to 20 minutes at 375 degrees, then flip and bake for 10 – 15 more minutes. (Time may vary according to thickness and your oven.)
- Efficiency Tip: Instead of grinding nuts and chopping the onion, place water and all ingredients (except oats and bulgur wheat) in a blender. Cover and turn on for 2 or 3 seconds, just long enough for all to go through the blades and get chopped fine, but not pureed. Then proceed as in Step 1.
- Variation #1: Try adding 1 tablespoon each of molasses and tomato puree for a richer flavor.
- Variation #2: Make a chili burger by replacing the sage with 1 teaspoon cumin and 1 tablespoon chili powder, or ½ package of mild taco seasoning.
- Note: Be sure to get plenty of flavor in your burger! Remember, it is usually eaten in a bun with burger fixings, and if the burger is bland, you will hardly know it’s there.
Prep Time: 45 minutes Serving Size: 6-8 servings