Fact: kale is one of the healthiest vegetables on the planet. So much so that it’s being called “the new beef,” “the queen of greens,” and “a nutritional powerhouse.” Why? Well, it’s low in calories, high in fiber, iron, calcium, and Vitamins K and C, has zero fat, is filled with powerful antioxidants, is a great anti-flammatory food, and is good for cardiovascular support. As much of this cookbook might suggest, we love kale and hope you will too. Here’s how you can start:
|small bundle||kale (ribbed)|
|veggies, fresh or dried fruits and nuts (optional)|
- Wash your fresh kale greens. Run each leaf under warm to hot water and wash any grit away. Then, refresh the leaves by running them all under ice cold water.
- Prep the kale. Remove the thick stems from the leaves and discard. Place chopped kale in a large bowl and sprinkle with a little salt and lemon juice. Using your hands, massage the leaves until the kale is reduced to half its original volume, and is no longer bitter.
- Make your dressing in a small bowl. (Search “Sauces, Dips & Dressings” for ideas.)
- Mix the dressing with the kale, along with any additional ingredients such asveggies, fresh or dried fruits, and nuts.
- Chill. Allow at least 20 minutes for the dressing to really sink into the ingredients. Plus, chilling everything ensures a refreshing and tasty cold salad. You could make this salad the night before you serve it, but make sure you eat the greens within 48 hours.
Prep Time: 30 minutes Serving Size: 1 serving