This is a basic sauce that can be used to make many Mexican dishes, such as Pozole and Enchiladas. I prefer to use peppers that are not spicy, but that is really up to each person. The taste of this homemade sauce is far superior to the processed sauces that often have chemical ingredients to preserve them.
|5–7||dried, non-spicy red California chili pods|
|1||onion split into quarters|
|salt to taste|
- Wash the chilies and remove the seeds.
- Boil chilies with tomatoes, onion and garlic. Boil for about 15 minutes until vegetables become soft.
- Put everything in the blender using the amount of liquid needed to achieve your desired consistency.
- Add the salt and vegetarian seasoning.
- Blend all until well combined, adding more water if necessary.
- Pass the sauce via a fine sieve.
Prep Time: 30 minutes Serving Size: 2 tbsp (8–16 servings)