The ever-versatile quinoa gets another twist as a ground beef substitute. Take this protein-packed, low-glycemic food and turn it into a healthy meat for tacos or anywhere else you need ground beef.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water or broth
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- Rinse quinoa thoroughly in a mesh strainer for 2 minutes. This step is important for getting rid of the bitter flavor of quinoa.
- Add to pot with 2 cups water or broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed and quinoa is tender.
- Transfer quinoa into a saucepan and stir in seasonings.
- Add tomato sauce and let quinoa cook for 5 minutes or until quinoa crisps up to resemble taco meat.
- Freeze taco meat in a ziplock bag and have it on hand for future meals.
Ready in about 35 minutes
Makes 6 servings