Think being vegan is expensive? Think again. Here is one recipe that is super easy on the wallet. Lentils are one of the most inexpensive foods; yet, they are so delicious and healthy.
This recipe is bursting with flavor and very adaptable. Honestly, the soup is what you make it. These are just some of my favorite flavors to add to the soup, but you can add or take away whatever you want to. It’s just that easy.
Lentils may be small, but they’re full of nutrients and health benefits. Lentils are rich in fiber, which helps lower cholesterol also helps to manage blood-sugar levels. They’re a great source of protein as well. B vitamins are also readily found in lentils. This is very important since both vegetarians and meat-eaters often have low B vitamin levels. Lentils are also a great source of iron, which is a nutrient vegetarians need to take care to get enough of.
|4||cups||water (more if needed)|
|2||tablespoons||McKay's Chik'n Seasoning (or alternative)|
|1||dash||cayenne (to taste)|
- Turn burner on a medium-high heat.
- In a pot add the olive oil, onion, and garlic. Sauté until onions are transparent.
- At this point, add lentils and water into pot.
- After cooking for about 3 minutes add the rest of the ingredients, salt, McKay's Chik'n seasoning, bay leaves, cayenne, and yeast flakes.
- Let lentils cook for about 15 minutes, until the lentils are soft. More water may be added if needed.
- Remove from heat and serve.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Serving Size: